You may feel like your efforts to live a more planet friendly and sustainable life are a mere drop in the ocean when you see the gravity of our environmental issues, however, the ocean is made of many drops!
- Compost! Live in an apartment ? Don't have a garden? Everybody can compost! Here's how
- Use eco friendly cleaning products - they go into our waterways and into your environment!
- Use non-toxic shampoos / conditioners / soaps - they go into our waterways and on your body!
- Use chemical free sunscreen - definitely better for you but also for our oceans!
- Use a safety razor (men & women!) and ditch the disposable blades and plastic throw-aways!
- Ditch tea bags and use loose leaf teas - (or at least use plastic free tea bags)
- Keep cups / stainless steel forever lunch boxes / drink bottle / shopping bags / straws & cutlery / smoothie cups
- Reuse, Revamp, Repurpose, Recycle but first of all, RETHINK
- Pick up litter (especially plastic) - it doesn't have to be yours
- Shop at bulk food stores with jars / fabric bags or at least reuse your paper bags
- Avoid products with palm oil and non-sustainable ingredients
- Buy local - reduce your carbon footprint
- Eat to the season and buy or grow organic / spray free (local where possible!)
- Plant trees
- Volunteer and / or form environmental action groups in your area (eg. riparian planting groups) and get stuck in! This creates awareness and gets it done.
- Make your own foods and beverages from scratch where possible to minimise packaging (such as breads, non-dairy milks for example) - it's easier than you think!
- Go solar
- Walk / ride / carpool / take public transport to minimise your car usage
- Donate or sell your unwanted clothes and textiles
- Buy sustainable and ethical fashion
- Reduce or eliminate your meat and dairy intake.
The list goes on! How creative can you get with reducing your waste and your impact on our beautiful Mother Earth?
Help us to inspire others and share your own tips and experiences in the comments below.
It's about changing the way we do things. It is possible.